PCD & CBN CUTTING TOOLS FROM KNIGHT CARBIDE
The world’s hardest man-made substance, Polycrystalline Diamond (PCD) is made by fusing a powder of micronized synthetic diamond crystals to a sub-stratum of tungsten carbide. The synthetic diamond crystals are produced through a high-temperature, high-pressure sintering process that bonds them to a cobalt alloy. The result is an extremely hard, incredibly durable and abrasion-resistant cutting edge for non-ferrous materials, composites and fiber-reinforced plastics.
CUBIC BORON NITRIDE (CBN) CUTTING TOOLS
The second hardest substance known to man is cubic boron nitride (CBN). CBN tools are made by sintering CBN with a ceramic metal binder. With excellent hot hardness, CBN is suitable for hardened steels and high-speed roughing of grey cast iron.
BENEFITS OF PCD/CBN TOOLING AT KNIGHT CARBIDE
PCD/CBN tools are valued for their accuracy, consistency, feed rate and durability. For predictable results in large runs using hard-to-machine materials, PCD and CBN tools have you covered.
- Dimensional accuracy: tight tolerances are no issue with these tools. Tool wear is so minimal that cutting geometries remain precise run after run.
- Faster feed rates: PCD and CBN tools can cut up to 10 times faster than solid carbide in certain applications, even through super-hard alloys and highly abrasive composites.
- Long life: both PCD and CBN tools are incredibly resistant to wear, so there are far fewer tool changes.
- Repeatability: because they are so resistant to wear, these tools deliver predictable results.
- Finish quality: With such precise cutting, secondary tooling and other finishing is often unnecessary after initial tooling with Knight Carbide PCD/CBN tools.
PCD VS CBN: HOW TO CHOOSE THEM, WHEN TO USE THEM
Both PCD and CBN tools are prized for their consistency and predictability in achieving extremely close tolerances in many materials that are notoriously difficult to machine.
Go with PCD for non-ferrous materials, abrasive aluminum alloys, copper, titanium, platinum, carbon fiber, polycarbonate, tungsten carbide, ceramics, glass fiber, graphite, carbon fiber and more. Choose CBN for ultra-high-temperature applications in steel, iron and other ferrous metals, as well as chilled cast iron, superalloys, Monel and Stellite.
The relatively high cost of these tools can be offset quickly on larger volume orders by operational speed and accuracy, combined with impressive longevity of properly fabricated PCD/CBN tools that are well-matched to their materials and applications.
SPECIAL INSTERTS AND CUSTOM TOOLING IN PCD & CBN
Let Knight Carbide make your PCD/CBN cutting tools and inserts to your specifications. Upgrade your existing carbide tools for even higher performance with the addition of a PCD or CBN tip or insert. Then experience the superior performance, longevity and feed rates that optimize production to benefit your bottom line.
Consult with our engineers to find the ideal PCD/CBN solution for your particular application.